This indicator by its very nature backpaints by default, meaning that the displayed components are offset in the past.
The Zig Zag indicator is commonly used to returns points of references for the usage of specific drawing tools, such as Fibonacci retracements, fans, squares...etc.
The proposed indicator estimates peaks and troughs by using rolling maximums/minimums with a window size determining their significance. This window size approach allows us to have an indicator that works with a certain regularity no matter the scale of the price, something the percentage-based approach struggles with. Additionally, one upper and lower extremity are displayed, highlighting the price point that deviates the most from the Zig Zag lines.
A common usage also includes the easy determination of Elliot wave patterns in the price.
The Zig Zag indicator above highlights a downtrending motive wave.
The novel approach taken by this Zig Zag indicator is the addition of two extremities derived from the distance between the price and the Zig Zag line, thus returning channels. It is uncommon seeing extremities in Zig Zag indicators since the line connecting peaks and troughs has rarely any other utility than seeing trend variations with more clarity and is not meant to provide an accurate estimate of underlying local trends in the price.
This channel can be useful to study the potential relationship between underlying trends and the Zig Zag line. A low width between the Zig Zag and the upper extremity indicates price variations mostly located below the Zig Zag while equal width indicates more linear trends.
When the indicator is extended to the last line, the extremities provide potential support and resistances, thus making this indicator able to forecast price variations.
- Length: Determines the significance of the detected peaks and troughs.
- Extend To Last Bar: Extend the most recent line to the most recent closing price value.
- Show Extremities: Displays the extremities.
- Show Labels: Display labels highlighting the high/low prices located at peaks and troughs.
- Upper Extremity Color: Color of the upper extremity displayed by the indicator.
- Zig Zag Color: Color of the ZigZag lines.
- Lower Extremity Color: Color of the lower extremity displayed by the indicator.
Join our 100k+ community: discord.gg/lux
All scripts & content provided by LuxAlgo are for informational & educational purposes only. Past performance does not guarantee future results.